Servings: 4 cups
6 egg yolks
2/3 cup granulated sugar
1-1/2 cups 35% heavy cream
1-1/2 cups 2% milk
2 tsp pure vanilla extract
1/2 tsp vanilla bean seeds or crushed vanilla beans
- In heavy-bottomed saucepan, whisk egg yolks with sugar until combined.
- Whisk in cream, milk and both forms of vanilla.
- Cook over medium heat, stirring frequently, until fairly thick, about 15 minutes.
- Strain through fine sieve into square metal cake pan and cover with plastic wrap tight against the custard's surface. Refrigerate until chilled, about 1-1/2 hours.
- Transfer to plastic freezer container and freeze until firm but not solid - 2 to 3 hours.
- Scrape into a food processor and purée until smooth. Pour back into the freezer container.
- Swirl or stir in any other flavourings at this point (optional, of course) and freeze until firm, about 4 hours.
Like this recipe? Why not try one of these as well?
Want to night out with great cuisine and a chance to learn a little about wine?
Why not join Stephanie at Wander Food & Wine for a wine tasting or class ?
OPENING FALL 2019!