So simple - I don't know why I don't make this more often!
Yes...you can use any cherries, but I like to switch up the fruit based on what's in season. And the white ones are so pretty!
This can be made on a gas stove, on a BBQ or over an outdoor fire grate!
1lb fresh, ripe white cherries, washed and pitted
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 lemon, juiced and peel sliced into big slices
1/3 cup dark rum
- Heat a cast iron pan over high heat until just starting to smoke.
- Turn down heat to medium and add cherries, sugar and lemon juice all at once - carefully!
- Add the lemon peel slices, stir briefly and allow to simmer for a few minutes.
- Move the pan off of the direct heat, add the rum and ignite with a long match or a BBQ lighter until you see the alcohol start to flame.
- Swirl the pan a bit while the alcohol cooks away...and when you see the flame is gone, turn off the heat.
- While still warm, ladle the cherries and the pan sauce over good vanilla ice cream or allow to cool a bit to serve over Greek yogurt.
Like this recipe? Why not try one of these as well?
Want to night out with great cuisine and a chance to learn a little about wine?
Why not join Stephanie at Wander Food & Wine for a wine tasting or class ?
OPENING FALL 2019!