310 Donald Street
Winnipeg, ON CANADA
Visited: September 2016
- What I liked…
- Central, downtown location.
- Next door to the new Merchant Kitchen restaurant. I am used to the small, in-house cafeteria-style of the Alt Toronto so a full-service restaurant next door was a pleasant surprise. (Only downside is that they are closed on Sundays, so in poor weather, guests have to venture out to Moxie's around the next block.)
- I spotted signs of a Brown's Socialhouse being constructed at the far corner of the same building. It should make this hotel a go-to for many business travellers.
- Clean, modern and new - the design of the hotel is european sleek with high ceilings, mixed finishes and cool colour tones. It is a little feel of Europe - just like the other Alt Hotels I have visited.
- Bed was comfy - pillows too.
- Under the TV is a full panel of ways to hook up your own technology to the TV as a monitor, including HDMI, USB and A/V inputs. It seems to be a standard layout in all Alt Hotels.
- The hotel sets up a continental self-serve breakfast each morning in the lobby. Hardboiled eggs, yogurt cups, pastries and bagels with a toaster made for a handy morning feed prior to heading out to morning meetings.
What I didn’t like so much…
- No bottled water in the room. Once I check-in to a hotel for the night, I don't like having to venture all the way down to the lobby to buy a bottle of water. I don't even mind paying for it, as long as it is handy.
- The lighting in the bathroom is soft and calming, but for ladies who need to use the mirror, it is a little too soft. I tried to tilt and use the magnifying mirror on the side wall but it was a little awkward for a short girl like me. (Probably just being a bit of 'princess', but bright lights in a bathroom are important to me.)
- Speaking of lighting...one of the walls in the shower is semi-translucent to the bedroom side of the room. It is a nice look, but when your partner turns on the light in the bathroom in the middle of the night, the wall glows on the other side. Unique design, but not very practical, I think.
- The layout of the room in this Alt location still only supports one night table but at least the built-in shelving is facing into the room so I could reach the shelf to place my book, phone or water bottle.
- Only garbage can in the room is in the bathroom. There is only a blue box under the desk.
Even the others who travelled with us for this trip mentioned to me how pleased they were with the Alt Hotel. It was their first visit to this chain - and I am now guessing it won't be their last.
Looking for a speaker for your next event or conference?
Cooking demonstrations, wine pairing events and lectures, travel talks and MORE...
She speaks with passion, insight and FLAVOUR!
To book an event or learn more, email us by clicking here